Parker Dewey

About Micro-Internships

Micro-Internships are short-term, paid, professional assignments that are similar to those given to new hires or interns. Parker Dewy hires via 1099 and are inclusive to all students, regardless of immigration status, if a student can provide a valid ITIN number. These projects enable Career Launchers to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build their networks as they seek the right full-time role. Unlike traditional internships, Micro-Internships can take place year-round, typically range from 5 to 40 hours of work, and are due between one week and one month after kick-off. Micro-Internships are used by companies ranging from those in the Fortune 100 to emerging start-ups, and go across departments including sales, marketing, technology, HR, and finance. 

Micro-Internships are facilitated via the Parker Dewey platform, which connects Career Launchers with Companies in need of support.

For Dominican Students and Alumni

Completing an internship or Micro-Internship can be an important step in your career search process. Through Micro-Internships, you can explore different career paths and begin to build the necessary experience to become a competitive candidate in the job market. Beyond that, your academic experience will improve as you apply what is taught in the classroom to the real world (and vice versa).

All Dominican students are encouraged to complete a Micro-Internship, regardless of GPA or major(s).

Oh, did we forget to mention that you get paid for all of this? Once hired for a Micro-Internship, you will be paid as an independent contractor so neither DACA nor TPS are required!

For Undocumented Students

Dominican students and alumni do not need to have DACA or TPS to apply for Micro-Internship opportunities. All Micro-Internships are structured as independent contract work, which means successful applicants would be hired by Parker Dewey as independent contractors.

If you have work authorization, you can use this to complete a Micro-Internship. Otherwise, a valid ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) will also allow you to be paid as an independent contractor.

You may already have an ITIN if your parents or guardians have previously filed income taxes and claimed you as a dependent. You can find this number on your parents’ or guardians’ tax forms.

If you have an ITIN, make sure it is not expired! If it has expired, you must renew it before moving forward in this process. You can find information regarding ITIN renewal and expiration here.

If you do not have an ITIN, you can follow the ITIN Guide or Independent Contractor Forms Video from Immigrants Rising. The Office of Career Programs & Employer Relations can also provide additional assistance as you complete this process. Please email for guidance.

For Employers

Regardless of your role, industry, or organization size, students and alumni from Dominican University can help. If you want to expand your recruiting pool to access diverse talent with 21st-century skills and the grit to succeed, Micro-Internships make it easy. If you want to improve the effectiveness of your hiring efforts and lower the costs (and risks) associated with onboarding, no problem. If you just need some immediate help on projects because you or your team is overloaded, we’ve got you covered.

If want to specifically recruit and hire Dominican students for Micro-Internships, make sure to select Dominican University in the “Schools” section on your postings.

For More Information

Please visit Parker Dewey to see example projects and to create your account.

Click Here For More Information on Parker Dewey