The Dominican University Office of Career Programs and Employer Relations encourages students to engage early and often to navigate the lifelong process of career exploration and development. Our team is here to help you with career guidance, internship/job search, and graduate/professional school preparation.
Career Development Curriculum
Our equitable, curriculum-based approach to career development is designed to help students leverage their strengths, present themselves professionally and launch their careers.
These classes prepare students to effectively engage with the professional world during and following their time at Dominican. Courses are taught by industry professionals with real-world experience that help our students succeed.
One-on-one career mentoring
Our hallmark Executives and Experts in Residence program connects students with top industry leaders for personalized advising. These professionals have previously held executive-level appointments, positioning them as true experts in their industries.
Students can meet with a pioneer from the career path they’re interested in to:
- Develop a resume and cover letter that shows off experience and skills
- Plan job search and interview strategies
- Understand the skills and abilities required to succeed in different industries
- Navigate career-related challenges
Learn on-the-job skills—not after graduation, now.
Experiential learning is a cornerstone of Dominican University. Students at Dominican acquire unique skills through hands-on learning—and put them to work in the classroom and beyond.
We encourage students to complete at least one internship opportunity during their time here. Our office provides a variety of resources to help students find internships, from access to job boards to direct connections with employers in the area.
We also offer micro-internships, or short-term, paid, professional assignments that are similar to those given to new hires. These projects enable you to demonstrate skills, explore career paths, and build your network.
Make real-world connections
It’s no secret networking is a key to finding jobs. And at Dominican, students have countless opportunities to attend professional events and gain exposure to a wide variety of companies.
The Chicago area’s top employers regularly visit campus to find talent. Students have the opportunity to participate in mock interview events, network at job fairs, visit with prospective employers virtually, participate in elevator-pitch presentations to panels of employer partners, and much more.
Explore support resources
Charting a professional course is no easy task. That’s why we’re here to help students every step of the way. As a student at Dominican, you’ll find programs to help you succeed.
- We use Handshake to help students discover part- and full-time jobs, internships and everything in between. Used by more than 200,000 employers, Handshake helps students take the next step toward building a great career.
- Our on-demand headshot service is available for all students to ensure they have a professional presence on key networking platforms, such as LinkedIn.
- Our Suit Up program offers gently used suits and professional clothing items for students who are in need of professional attire for networking events, interviews or professional meetings.